Friday, April 11, 2008

Our Apartment

We live on the first floor of this little building. One bed, one bath, one study, living room and dining nook - it serves its purpose pretty well. Kai spends the most time there of the three of us, and she seems to be a big fan of all the rugs the institute provides for her to nap on. The front of the building is on Goldman Lane, named after Hetty Goldman, an archeologist and the first female professor at the institute. All the streets in the institute village are named after famous faculty members, and I'm psyched to live on Goldman from a feminist perspective, but from a naturalist point of view, I covet Von Neumann Circle because of its great wildlife. My first morning here, I saw a pair of Pileated woodpeckers in the trees above the creek that borders Von Neumann. These birds have alluded me for years. It isn't that they are rare, it is just that I haven't ever gotten a very clear (and long) sighting of them. A few days later, I came across at least 6 deer in almost the same spot. And today it was a Northern Flicker. Von Neumann is this wildlife hotspot, definitely the most desirable IAS address.
David and I had folks over for wine and cheese last night, and I stayed up way past my bedtime drinking and eating and laughing. It was a really fun group of people, a few youngsters, and Kai was very well behaved. If you are driving by and want to come in for left over smelly, soft cheeses, this is what the front of the apartment looks like:

No comments: